Friday, June 27, 2008

Wipe Out!

I live in Santa Monica, about 5 blocks from the beach. Been there for about 13 years now. I like to skate, bike ride, hang out and play at the beach. That's why I live there... so, yesterday I was skating on the boardwalk after work. I'm one of those chicks that dances and sings out loud to my i-pod... I know, shocking! Anyway, there is this little hill up the path by Temescal Canyon. On the way down I always speed through it and take off from there with the speed I've gained from the down hill roll.
Yesterday, for the first time ever, I wiped out! I don't have breaks on my skates and I don't wear any protective gear. I really have never ever wiped out. Well, I guess I hit a small rock or a crack in the path or something. I went FLYING INTO THE AIR, my skates up in the air above my head! I landed forward onto my left hand and then the rest of my body followed into a spin out on the pavement. I have a large C-shaped scrape on my right knee, swollen right now! My left hand has a few large gouges in it. My entire body from my left hand up to my neck and down my back is sore like I've been in a car crash. UGH!
Of course there were people around to see me looking like an a-hole hot shot wiping out... and of course, they all simply skated or biked right past me. Not one of them stopping to ask if I was ok. LA people are so nice!
Anyway, I got up, dusted all of the sand off of me and began to skate my way back home. Its pretty far, at least 2 miles back. I stopped at the nearest bathroom and cleaned up the blood on my knee and hands. Got the sand out of the wound.
When I got home I cleaned it up properly and applied some fresh aloe. I will be fine, no short skirts for about a week I guess. And, I will be skating again this weekend I'm sure.
That's life, sometimes you fall. I had a yoga teacher that use to say "falling is the same as not falling, its just how you react to it"... so, I looked stupid and now it hurts... that really is life!

No comments: