Tuesday, May 13, 2008

more meat than you can imagine!

today I was walking up the street with Joe our IT guy. We were going to subway for lunch when these guys in a "Midwest steakhouse" truck pulled up and said "hey! you guys want some steaks?!"... they got out of the truck and showed us their super deal. This huge box of a large assortment of steaks and burgers. They said that they "just dropped off all of their orders in the day and they needed to sell these or be stuck with them". They were offering buy one get one free... the boxes, buy one entire box of A LOT of meat for $425 and get one free. I suggested they go to our office and ask others while we went to subway.
In the meantime they are still asking us to take the deal. Offering it for $175 even!...
Anyway, we went up to subway and the line was almost out the door. I wasn't that hungry so I told Joe I was leaving and he could get something himself. I walked back to the office. I figured I could always go back later.
Now as I walked back to the office the meat guys are there again... I told them to follow me to the office. A group of coworkers were having family style Mexican food for lunch in the conference room. I figured some of them would be interested. Sure enough, when the meat guy came in with the box and the price list...
Between the group of us we bought two sets of buy one get one. The group also talked them into throwing in one more box for just $50 more.
What does this mean to me? Well, I am one of the recipients of the huge box of meat! I sold 2 each of 5 steaks for $40 to Henry (our driver)... and then I called my sister to see if she wanted to split the rest with me. It really is a great deal! Michelle was definitely interested. There are 5 people including Michelle to feed in their family. I'm sure she can always use a good deal on meat! Its a lot of food!...
Then Erik, another one of my clients comes into the office and I told him all about it, except he cut me off and told me the meat guy's pitch. He said that they do that everywhere. They probably never even have someone to drop an order off to, and no reason to have leftover boxes... its just their spiel! He was laughing at me... but still, I got this huge box of vacuum wrapped steaks... 5 kinds of steaks and a bunch of burgers! sitting right there! and they didn't look bad... Erik suggested the quality would be questionable. or that the price wasn't that great of a deal... But I disagree. The meat looks great and the price turns out to be about $3.50 per piece whether its a steak or a burger... not a bad deal I think!
Now it gets even funnier! I brought it home to put into my freezer which is usually almost empty. I keep a couple of pieces of salmon, some ground beef and a couple of NY strip steaks in there usually and a bottle of Sambuca... that's it. Now its so full I cannot imagine I would ever get through that amount of meat, ever! thank God Michelle wants to split it with me... but still, that leaves me with about 12 burgers and a shitload of steaks! woe! BBQ you say? well, that sounds great, except I don't own a BBQ... but my freezer is full that's for sure! UGH! Its guaranteed for a year in your freezer. I think I can handle that! am I crazy?!... dont' answer that!

No comments: