Wednesday, May 7, 2008

plumbing issues!

ok, so each morning the first thing most of us do is take a shower. I guess we can say during the week before we go to work...
Picture this, I am naked in my bathroom, cats behind me of course!... I reach over to turn on the hot water first and then the cold, as usual. EXCEPT the handle to the hot water comes off in my hands! At the same time hot water comes rushing straight out of the wall like a fire hydrant! Shooting across the bathtub hitting the wall at the other end of the tub! YIKES!!!!
I'm standing there NAKED! Holding the stupid hot water handle while scalding hot water is filling up my tub faster than it can drain! I am panicked! What do I do!...
First thing, get dressed! Second thing, contact a neighbor, any neighbor that may know where the turn off valve is! I do know my neighbors and most of them have been there a long time but I am not the girl who hangs out with my neighbors. Anyway, Stuart, the guy right next door has been there a long time. He has helped me through a few little cissies... he's a good "guy neighbor" for a girl to have. So I decide he is the one to call. However, it is only 6:30am. Stuart works from home and sleeps later than that, but its an emergency! So, I call... no answer. I don't know what to do. I am freaking out! I call again, I knock on his door... I feel really stupid! Still, necessary!
Finally Stuart answers looking like I just woke him up, because I did!... He comes into my place and can't make the water stop either!... the tub is filling up faster than it can drain. I am now faced with an overflowing bathtub of hot water!... Now I need towels. UGH!
Stuart is out about the building figuring out how to turn off the water on the entire building! Have my other neighbors showered yet? UGH again!...
This is all true! my life I tell ya!
Finally we have stopped the water and now I need to find a plumber to come and fix this thing asap. All of my neighbors are pist at me!.
I found a plumber who "could make it out this afternoon". When he finally arrived he surveyed the situation and had to go up the street to the plumbing supply store for a part. I guess the knob was stripped somehow? and it broke off?... whatever. He fixed it within and hour. I was able to turn the water on to the building again and life is back to normal.
As my mom would say, "these are the days of our lives!"... yes, she watches that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so you mean to tell me stuart didn't have a pliers to turn it off, what a good GUY friend to help you out....